The side view of this beautiful mansion.
"This Queen Anne style house, completed in 1884, was the Henry A. Chapin family home until 1902. In 1932, when the city of Niles bought the property at auction for $300, the Chapin grandchildren stipulated that it be used only for civic purposes. Now serving as the Niles city hall, the house is built of native brick and terra cotta tile. The interior is ornamented with leaded glass windows and transoms and hand carved woodwork and stenciled ceilings.
In 1939 The Works Progress Administration joined the carriage house to another outbuilding, thus creating the Fort Saint Joseph Museum structure. The museum holds over 10,000 items, including Fort St. Joseph and Potawatomi Indian artifacts, local memorabilia and a collection of original drawings by Chief Sitting Bull."
(From the sign in front of the building in 2015. The house now is administered by The Niles History Center.)
Tagged: , henry chapin house , niles history center , niles , michigan , victorian , mansion , brick , tower