The two-and-a-half-storey Durand Union Station was designed by architects Frederich Spier and William C. Rohns, who also designed the Niles and Dowagiac stations, and completed in 1903 for the Grand Trunk Railway System and the Ann Arbor Railroad. This facility was constructed in the Chateau Revival style with Missouri granite brick and Bedford cut stone, with a slate roof. Its turreted west end with its circular porch faces the former Grand Trunk Railway mainline. Its interiors featured marble wainscoting and terrazzo flooring on the ground floor and oak woodwork throughout. The original station contained a ticket office, waiting rooms, ladies’ parlor, gentlemen’s smoking room, large corridors and a dining room. The second floor served as railroad office space, crew sleeping quarters, and telegraph offices. The cost of the structure was $60,000 in 1903.
219c 8 – TAC_7463 – lr-ps-wm – split tone
Tagged: , train_station , train_depot , historic_depot , historic_train_station , split_tone , blackandwhite , B&W , monochrome , pure_michigan , 1000views , nikon_camera , D7500