Moosomin was the home of a famous Canadian military person – General Andrew McNaughton.
General Andrew McNaughton was born in Moosomin in 1887. In the Second World War, he commanded Canada’s overseas army and then became Minister of Defence.
In the interwar years he was Chairman of the National Research Council and following the Second World War was Chairman of the International Joint Commission which handled questions pertaining to the international waters along the Canada-United States border.
The McNaughton building is part of the family heritage in Moosomin.
One of a handful of pre-1890 commercial buildings in Saskatchewan, it was constructed in 1886 with a major addition in 1890. The oldest part of the building was constructed of field stone in the Second Empire style, signified by the mansard roof with inset dormer windows bordered by intricate woodwork.
The 1890 brick and fieldstone addition was designed in an elaborate rendition of boomtown commercial architecture. The original owners, the McNaughton family, were prominent in Moosomin from the time R.D. McNaughton established his original wholesale and retail store in 1882.
They were the main wholesale supplier for towns across south-eastern Saskatchewan. Although R.D. McNaughton sold the business in 1909, successive owners continued to use the McNaughton name until the closure of the store in 1956.
Designated in 2004, the McNaughton Building is a Municipal Heritage Property.
Tagged: , 2017 , Canada , Cropped , NIKON , NIKON D750 , NIKON FX , Ted McGrath , Ted’s photos , Vignetting , Moosomin , Moosomin Saskatchewan , McNaughton Building , Street Scene , Street , Building , Saskatchewan , Windows , Doors , Arches , Arched Windows