The Grade II* Listed Parish Church of St Mary, in the grounds of Riseholme College, in Riseholme, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire.
The first Bishop of Lincoln to live at Riseholme Hall was John Kaye and he had the 14th century style church of St Mary’s built at his own expense to a design by S.S. Teulon. The foundation stone was laid by Bishop Kaye on 4th April 1851. The church consists of a nave with gabled western bellcote, a gabled south porch, a vestry and a chancel. St Mary’s is built of local stone and the architecture is early Decorated period. All the woodwork is English oak and the font is of stone from Caen. The chancel arch is in a 13th century style and the chancel floor is Victorian encaustic tiles. The windows are by Gibbs.
The organ is a Premier pipe organ made by Cousans of Lincoln. St Mary’s did not have electricity until 1948 and an electric blower was installed for the organ in 1954.
Tagged: , Lincoln , Lincolnshire , Midlands , East Midlands , England , UK , United Kingdom , GB , Great Britain , British , English , Britain , Riseholme , Riseholme Hall , Hall , Manor , Stately Home , Riseholme Campus , Riseholme College , Riseholme Park , campus , University of Lincoln , Nettleham , farming and agriculture , farming , agriculture , church , chapel , worship , religion , Christ , Christian , Christianity , Parish Church of St Mary , Parish Church of Saint Mary , Grade II* Listed , Grade II* Listed Building , Listed Building , John Kaye , architect , S.S. Teulon , foundation stone , Bishop Kaye , nave , gabled western bellcote , gabled south porch , vestry , chancel , English oak , Caen , chancel arch , 13th century style , chancel floor , Victorian encaustic tiles , Premier pipe organ , Cousans of Lincoln