How are you planning to use matzo for the first Passover sedar meal other than it simply sitting on a sedar plate? The story of matzo is similar to modern day cooking today. Jews didn’t have time to wait for bread to rise, so they made due with flat bread. Busy people with never-ending Passover duties can easily appreciate an easy Passover matzo recipe that does not involve a lot of preparation.
Most people associate matzo with matzo ball soup or matzo brei or simply just eating matzo during Passover. But matzo, when combined with other perhaps less known ingredients, makes a tasty dish for the seder meal. Here are three recipes using both matzo and matzo meal as a main ingredient.
Matzo Recipe #1: Passover Baked Chicken Breasts
Preparation: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
* 4 Kosher chicken breasts
* 1 bag Passover matzo meal
* 1 cup Savion chicken sauce with apricots
* 2 tbsp. kosher caramel soup mix, onion-style
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Pour matzo meal in the mixing bowl. Combine chicken sauce and onion soup mix in separate bowl and set aside.
2. Rinse chicken breasts off with running water. Boil them to get rid of the fat consistency. First, dip chicken breast into chicken sauce mixture, coating well, then into the potato chip breading. Place in an oven-safe baking dish.
3. Bake chicken for approximately 30 minutes until golden brown.
Serve! Bon Appetit!
Matzo Recipe #2: Passover Matzo Crusted CodServes 4
Preparation: 20 minutes
Total time 20 minutes
* 4 cod filets
* 1 cup Savion Pancake Mix
* 4 Tbsp. Manischewitz poultry seasoning
* 8 pieces matzo
* 1-1/2 c. water
1. Mix pancake mix with water to create batter. it should be thinner than a pancake batter. Add poultry seasoning and stire well to combine.
2. Break matzo into pieces and place in food processor. Pulse to a panko bread crumb consistency.
3. Dip fish into batter to coat and then into the matzo bread crumbs. Press gently but coat well.
4. Pan fry or deep fry until a wonderfully golden brown. Season with salt and pepper.
Recipe #3: Gradmother’s Traditional Matzo Brei
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
* 8 pieces of matzo
* 1 beaten egg
Break the matzo into small pieces and mix with the egg mixture. Additionally, you can add some milk to the egg mixture. Heat a skilled pan with oil. Pour the egg matzo meal into the pan. Turn the matzo until it is golden brown. Cut into wedges. Serve with honey or jam. Alternatively, you can add with sour cream or kosher chocolate spread. Watch those calories as matzo brei is addictive and very fattening.
Enjoy! Happy Passover!